Are you looking for a unique movie experience? You’re in luck: outdoor and drive-in movies are taking center stage this summer! There are several outdoor chances for you to grab your kiddos and see a flick on the big screen from the comfort of a lawn blanket or your car… and many are even free!
So corral your children and significant other, gather up some pillows and blankets, and heat up some popcorn to go (or even better, support the establishments below and purchase piping hot popcorn at your destination!). It’s time to catch some summer movies under the stars.
Free Outdoor Movies in Atlanta…
- Established in 2006, Atlanta’s Movies in the Park ™ hosts family-friendly outdoor summer movie experiences in historic locations throughout the northern suburbs of Atlanta, including Alpharetta, Canton, Cumming, Dawsonville, and Woodstock. Movies cater to young families and begin at sundown, instead of dark. Event details are regularly updated on the Atlanta Movies in the Park™ Facebook page.
- Families can enjoy outdoor movie showings on select Saturday nights through October with Mall of Georgia’s Movies Under the Stars. Pre-movie family fun begins at 5 p.m. and includes kid-friendly activities like face painting and inflatables. Movies begin around 7 p.m. and take place at the Mall of Georgia’s Village Village Amphitheater at 3333 Buford Drive in Buford.
- The City of Kennesaw’s Outdoor Outdoor Movie Series is going strong all summer in Swift-Cantrell Park. The final installment will take place on Saturday, July 22nd with a showing of Disney Pixar’s Finding Nemo. Prior to show time, families can enjoy food vendors and family-friendly activities, beginning at 6 p.m. Swift-Cantrell Park is located at 3140 Old 41 Highway NW in Kennesaw.
- Newtown Park is home to Johns Creek’s Summer Movies at the Park on select Fridays this summer. Pre-show fun begins at 7 p.m. and includes inflatables, face painting, giveaways, and music. Movies begin at dusk. You can find Newtown Park at 3150 Old Alabama Road in Johns Creek.
- Peachtree Corners is hosting its Flicks on the Green outdoor movies once a month this summer on the Town Green at 5140 Town Center Boulevard in Peachtree Corners. Guests are encouraged to grab food and snacks from neighboring Town Green restaurants and picnic prior to the movie, which begins at 7 p.m.
- Town Brookhaven is showcasing both kid and adult movie favorites on Thursday nights as a part of its Movies on the Town summer movie series. Many local eateries are offering specials on food and snacks on movie nights, and families can enjoy free popcorn while supplies last. Movies begin at dusk and event updates can be found on Town Brookhaven’s Facebook and Instagram pages. The fun will take place at 4330 Peachtree Road NE in Brookhaven.
- Midtown’s Colony Square is hosting classic movies on select Thursdays throughout the summer and into October with its Movies on the Square events. Visitors are encouraged to bring their blankets/chairs and order takeout from onsite restaurants prior to movie time, which takes place at 7 p.m. Colony Square is located at 1197 Peachtree Street in Atlanta.
Drive-Ins in and near Atlanta…
- The Starlight Drive-In Theatre is open 7 days a week and shows a mix of new releases and old favorites. Movies take place when it’s dark, and doors open anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours prior to show time, depending on the day. Adult tickets are $10, but kids under 10 can get in for just $1! Be sure to check out their FAQ page before you go to learn how to best enjoy your drive-in experience. The Starlight Theatre is located at 2000 Moreland Avenue SE in Atlanta.
If you are up for a short drive…
- Head up to north Georgia, to the Swan Drive-In Theatre in Blue Ridge. This drive-in has been entertaining patrons since 1955 and is still rated as one of the best around. Gates open at 7 p.m. and movies begin at 8:55. Admission prices are $10 for adults, $5 for children 4-11 years old, and free for kids under 3. Head up there early and spend the day walking around beautiful downtown Blue Ridge. The Swan Drive-In Theatre is located at 651 Summit Street in Blue Ridge and movies begin at 7 p.m.
- Lastly, make a drive towards Chattanooga, to what is rumored to be the largest drive-in movie theater in the world, Wilderness Outdoor Movie Theater. Their double features start at 9:30 pm on the weekends, with general admission being $7 per person. Outside food and drinks are not permitted, but they have some great options at their concession stand. The Wilderness Outdoor Movie Theater is located at 217 Old Hales Gap Road in Trenton.
Want to beat the heat and keep the bugs away? Take your kids to experience one of these summer movie programs.