Now that summer is here, some of us are finding ourselves with a little something others refer to as “free time”. If you are anything like me, you are pretty unaccustomed to such a concept and may not know what you are supposed to do with yourself during such times.
Piggybacking off a previous post, here are a few suggestions I have come up with.
If you have a few minutes to yourself:
- Prop your feet up, close your eyes, and just enjoy a few silent breaths.
- Find that candy bar you hid away two Halloweens ago and savor it knowing no one else will ask you for a bite.
- Scroll mindlessly through Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Pinterest.
- Read a chapter or two of the book you’ve been hoping to get to or have been trying to finish since the last decade.
If you have an hour to yourself:
- This may not sound like the most fun, but grocery shop! it’s so much better without kids asking for everything or complaining the whole time.
- Buy yourself a mocha latte (or whatever your drink of choice may be) and sit in the sunshine with it and your book/phone/laptop.
- Take a nap (be sure to set an alarm!).
- Go for a walk.
- Find a quick yoga video on YouTube to help center yourself.
- Catch up on the most recent episode of Grey’s Anatomy (or whatever show you are behind on).
If you have a few hours to yourself:
- Schedule a mani-pedi, massage, or hair appointment (anything to pamper yourself in a way you don’t normally).
- Go see a movie. Might I suggest a drive-in?
- Find a new park or hiking trail to try out. If you need some recommendations in the Atlanta area, here is a great guide.
- Give your garden some much-needed TLC.
- Go out to eat and truly take your time.
- Clean out your kids’ closets and bedrooms (or your own) and take everything old/unused to a thrift shop without having arguments about how they really still like those things.
- Take a nap
If you have the day to yourself:
- Binge-watch a new show or an old favorite
- Hang out by the neighborhood pool with your book/magazine/phone, plenty of snacks, and maybe a beverage
- Spa day!
- Try a new craft or hobby. Perhaps go to a pottery painting place, an aerial yoga studio, or ax throwing