For years I have seen posts from friends around the country who have visited Great Wolf Lodge. I always thought it would be fun. So when they opened one in Lagrange, Ga (approximately an hour and a half from Atlanta) we jumped at the opportunity to visit! And since then I have made it a regular trip for our family. Although you do not have to spend hours upon hours planning like you do with that huge amusement park in the state south of us, there are some ways to help you optimize your visit.
Here are some helpful hints to get the most out of your stay:
- Start early. You can begin using the facilities at 1:00 p.m. on the day of check-in. Your room may not be ready, but there are plenty of bathroom areas where you can change. I highly suggest being there as close to 1:00 p.m. as possible so you can take full advantage of the amenities.
- Utilize Mobile Check-In. There is an option for mobile check-in. It was easy and our room was ready earlier than the reported check-in time.
- Know your room. We had the basic standard room. It was very spacious. The oversized chair pulled out into a small twin bed along with 2 queen beds. There is a small fridge in the room which was great for snacks and drinks. We did not have a safe in our room so keep in mind when you leave your valuables in the room.
- Plan for food. The food and pricing are typical of most amusement parks. If you have picky eaters in your family you may want to bring some of their favorite foods. The vending machine area does have a microwave.
- Family photos are a must. If you want to take family photos, there are 2 great spots. One is outside in front of the lodge and then in grand lobby in front of the fireplace. The best times of day are going to be the late evening when the lobby is less crowded.
- Avoid temptations. In order to get to the water park, you have to pass multiple shops that may entice your child (i.e. candy store, ice cream). You can avoid these temptations by going out the doors from the lobby to the outdoor pool and then into the water park area.
- Ensure interest in activities before buying extra passes. Speaking of these temptations, they cost money. Great Wolf Lodge offers a variety of passes that include these different activities. We purchased the Wolf pass and it was worth it! I recommend walking around and having your child see the various activities to help determine if it would be something that he or she would be interested in prior to purchasing it.
- Set out for adventure in the mornings. Rock climbing and the ropes course were less crowded in the mornings.
- Staff is ready to help. There are staff members to help on the ropes course. If you or your child become fearful at any point along the way, the staff member is able to assist. This was comforting to know while we watched from below.
- Hold out for the bracelets! There are activities scheduled all throughout the day. A popular activity is the Glow Party. In preparation for the party, they will offer various items to purchase that range in price from $15 – $28. However, if you wait until closer to time to party, they will hand out the glow bracelets for free!
As with any family trip, there will be some bumps along the way (i.e. cranky kids, tired parents) but hopefully, these tips will make for a smoother ride!