As Memorial Day approaches, many families want some fun and exciting ways to celebrate during the holiday weekend.
If you live in the Atlanta area or traveling to the area for the weekend, there are plenty of great options. Whether you are a family of adventurists, just want to relax now that the school year is drawing to a close, or thrive off local culture, Atlanta doesn’t disappoint.
We compiled five ideas for Atlanta stay-cations to consider this Memorial Day Weekend.
- Stone Mountain Park is a short drive from Atlanta and offers a beautiful natural oasis. There are tons of outdoor activities and attractions. Grab your water bottles, snacks, and sneakers and hike to the top of Stone Mountain. The pinnacle offers panoramic views of the city skyline. On the way down, enjoy a picnic by the lake, or take a scenic train ride around the park. The fun doesn’t stop there. Other highlights include the Skyride cable car, a 4D movie experience, and the famous Lasershow Spectacular. Whether you’re traveling with the kiddos or need a romantic weekend getaway, Stone Mountain Park is a great choice for Memorial Day Weekend.
- If taking in local history is more your style, the Atlanta History Center is perfect. The Center is home to a variety of exhibits and artifacts that tell the story of Atlanta and the American South. While there, be sure to learn about the Smith Family Farm, which is a fully restored 1860s-era farmhouse. The Margaret Mitchell House can’t be overlooked. It’s the former home of the well-known author of Gone with the Wind. For sports fans, the Centennial Olympic Games Museum accounts the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. The Center also offers walking tours, hosts special events during the holidays and special occasions, and boosts an interactive exhibit that provides fun for visitors of all ages.
- Just north of Atlanta, you can relax at Chateau Elan Winery & Resort. Fashioned after a sixteenth-century chateau in the Loire Valley of France, this luxurious and relaxing stay-cation option is a beautiful choice. Located in the picturesque hills of north Georgia, the resort features a world-class winery, a championship golf course, and a full-service spa. Guests have their pick from a range of accommodations from plush suites to comfy cottages. You will enjoy amenities such as a swimming pool, tennis courts, and multiple dining options. Whether you want to unwind with a massage, reserve a wine tasting, or hit the links, the Chateau Elan Winery & Resort has something for every couple.
- We didn’t forget about our nature lovers! Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, located just minutes from Atlanta, offers more than 50 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding, as well as plenty of opportunities for fishing, boating, and picnicking. Your family can explore the lush forests and rolling hills along the banks of the Chattahoochee River. Be sure to keep an eye out for wildlife like turtles and herons and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. Whether you’re a seasoned outdoors enthusiast or just looking for a scenic place to relax, the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area is a great option.
- Art lovers, rejoice! You won’t want to miss the High Museum of Art in Midtown Atlanta. The museum features a world-class collection of art from around the world, including paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. You can explore exhibits ranging from ancient Egyptian artifacts to contemporary pieces. The museum also offers lectures and film screenings. Their family-friendly programming allows everyone to get involved through activities such as art-making workshops and interactive storytelling sessions. In addition, the High Museum features an extensive collection of photography, with works ranging from 19th-century images to the present. Whether you’re a seasoned art enthusiast or just looking for a fun and educational way to spend Memorial Day Weekend, the High Museum of Art is a great option.
No matter what your interests or budget, there are plenty of great stay-cation options to explore in Atlanta this Memorial Day Weekend.
Whether you want to relax, take on an adventure, or discover local culture, there’s something for everyone. If you’re looking to travel a bit further outside of Atlanta, be sure to check out our post, 9 Reasons to Take Your Kids to Helen This Spring/Summer.