Friendsgiving…a friend’s reunion to celebrate one of the best holidays of the year, Thanksgiving.
Or as I’ve heard before a Thanksgiving celebration without judgment.
For our family that relocated to the states 14 plus years ago, there is nothing we would love more than to see our families on all the special holidays, but we are very blessed to have found an amazing group of friends we call ‘our chosen family. That is what Friendsgiving is all about. Celebrating with the friends that have become your fam!
It is a time to have fun, share your fave dishes, family recipes, and drinks. In my experience, this is one of the most exciting reunions and you definitely won’t go home hungry. If you are lucky enough, your friend group will be a melting pot. People from different backgrounds, cultures, and traditions, are all coming together for one of the best things on the planet… delicious food and people you love! You can also add festive cocktails to the mix.
Most Friendsgiving celebrations are ‘potluck’ style. Everyone brings a dish they either like, know how to make well (grandma’s recipe), or buy really well (remember this is a nonjudgment zone). Typically, everyone will share in advance what dish they are bringing so they don’t end up with multiple green bean casseroles. There are also rules and sometimes even themes. There are many ways to make your party fun and festive!
Some fun ideas if you are hosting a Friendsgiving:
- Some ‘Friendsgiving’ decor! Etsy has an amazing selection and if you are like me, I live for a good table setting!
- Have rules but make it fun. Make sure to ask people when they rsvp to post/share what dish they are bringing.
- I love to have place cards. They don’t have to be fancy, but this could help some new friends not feel lost or you can have some fun and spread people around and even make some new friends! … Did someone say matchmaking?
- Have an ‘anything bar’. It could be a Cocoa Bar, Dessert Bar, Wine, Thanksgivingmosas Bar.… you name it, whatever you like!
- Have a signature cocktail. Autumn Apple cider Sangria, is always a hit!
- Have some theme games. Friendsgiving Bingo!
- This one should be pretty obvious but if you are the host, make a turkey!!!
- No fancy tablecloth, decor, or place cards? Just get some butcher paper and ask your guests to write what they are thankful for. It’s convenient, it looks rustic & chic, it goes with every other color, and almost cost nothing. Or if you are lucky like me (and love Target) they always have the coolest décor ideas and some ‘activity fun tablecloths’ that you can color, write on them, play games, and more. Lots of fun and would keep people together and entertain. Also, a great idea for the little ones. What started as a white tablecloth will end up like a beautiful mural full of art!
- If you are like my family, there is nothing we love more than the next day’s leftovers. We love to make Turkey sandwiches the next morning! But if that’s not your cup of tea, ask your guests to BYO storage containers.
At the end of the day, all that matters is that you are surrounded by people you love, and friends that are an important part of your life, and you all enjoy together the best buffet-style Thanksgiving meal of the year!
Happy Friendsgiving and Bon Appétit!
Be sure to check out these other Atlanta Mom Thanksgiving posts.